Decorative world map by the great French cartographer Guillaume Delisle (1675-1726), one of the key figures in the development of French cartography who believed passionately in the importance of accuracy. This twin-hemispheric map was originally published by Delisle in 1724 in his “Atlas Nouveau”.The map shows the routes of a number of the world’s major explorers: Magellan (1520), Le Maire (1615), St. Louis (1708), Halley (1700), Mendana (1595), St. Antoine (1710), Tasman (1642) and Quiroz (1605).
Size image: 64 cm x 44 cm
Attractive late 17th century map of the world, originally published by the famous Dutch cartographer and publisher Nicolaes Visscher. This iconic map is regarded as the master forerunner of a number of highly decorative Dutch world maps produced throughout the remainder of the century. Distinctive attractiveness found in the border decorations showing dramatical classical scenes representing “the rape of Persephone”, “Zeus being carried across the heavens in an eagle-drawn chariot”, “Poseidon commanding his entourage”, and “Demeter receiving the fruits of the Earth”.This highly decorative piece of art includes a set of smaller polar hemispheric projections at the top and bottom of the map.
size image: 48 cm x 40 cm
This is an edited reproduction of a map originally published in 1794 by Laurie and Whittle of London in ‘The East India Pilot, or Oriental Navigator, on One Hundred and Eighteen Plates: Containing a Complete Collection of Charts and Plans’. In line with other sea charts of this period there is very little information about the inland areas. For merchants the seas and coastal cities were all that mattered.
Size image: 34 cm x 93 cm
Decorative poster of KLM’s 1934 flight schedule and route map from Amsterdam to Batavia , a 14.350 km long route. KLM proudly advertised that it took five and a half days to reach the Dutch East Indies. Compared to 6 weeks on a ship it sure made a difference! Shown is a globe presented as if seen from outer space, a starlit sky fills in the spaces around the globe which shows the route map. The aircraft shown is a Fokker F-XXXVI.
size image: 62 cm x 89 cm (canvas)
An interesting and one of the few prints that show Batavia how it looked like in the mid-18th century. The Dutch rulers followed the Dutch architactel way of building the houses, roads and canals. The only different was that in Batavia the build sunshades on they buildings. Showing in the print the terrible massacre of the Chinese that occurred in Batavia October 9th 1740, engraved by Adrian van der Laan of Amsterdam. The print shows Dutch troops firing cannon into Chinese houses on the banks of Kali Besar, slaughtering people as they fled their burning homes and waiting in boats to kill those that sought escape in the river; it is estimated that some 10,000 Chinese were killed. The massacre was prompted by tales of Chinese atrocities following the death of 50 Dutch soldiers at the hands of enraged Chinese sugar plantation workers who were protesting about Government repression and the declining sugar prices. This dramatic event is considered as the end of the Dutch golden age.
Size image: 39 cm x 53 cm
Reproduction of a very fine mid-19th century Dutch chromolithograph of the volcanoes, hills and countryside around Buitenzorg (Bogor) by Johan Grieve Jr. The print was published in a work entitled ‘Java. Naar Schilderijen en Teekeningen van A. Salm’ (Java. After Paintings and Drawings of A. Salm), in Amsterdam in 1872. Abraham Salm was a Dutch Surabaja based merchant and tobacco planter, who spent twenty-one years of his life in Indonesia.
size image: 24 cm x 32 cm
Decorative Mid-18th century large German map of Batavia by Johann Baptist Homann and originally published in the Homannischer Atlas around 1747. The plan shows the city and its immediate environs, the surrounding rice fields intersected by a network of waterways, canals and outlying fortifications. A detailed lettered key identifies the buildings and sites of importance of this capital and administrative centre of the Dutch East Indies. Inset views depict the city, Rathaus and the castle, whilst below there is a full-length black and white panorama of the city from the sea embellished on each side by portraits of native Javanese figures and exotic wildlife including a leopard and a cayman.
size image: 47 cm x 40 cm
‘NIEUWE EN ZEER NAAUKEURIGE KAART VAN T EYLAND JAVA MAJOR OF GROOT JAVA’ (‘New and very accurate map of the island Java Major or Big Java’). This large size map of Java by Francois Valentyn was originally published in Amsterdam in the ‘Oud en Nieuw Oost-Indien’ between 1724 and 1726. The original map of Java consisted of 7 separate maps which featured in the book ‘Beschrijvingen van Groot Djava of te Java Major’ (‘Descriptions of Big Java or Java Major’). From west to east the map shows ‘T Koninkrijk Bantam (the Kingdom of Bantam), ‘T Koninkrijk Jakarta, ‘T Koninkrijk Tsjeribon, De Landen van Mataram (The Countries of Mataram), De Landen van Panaraga , Kadoenwang (The countries of Panaraga, Kadoenwang), ‘t Eyland Madura, ‘t Prinsendom Soerabaja en Passaroewan (The Island Madura, the Princedom Soerabaja and Passaroewan) and ‘T Vorstendom of Landschap Balamboang (the Principality/Princedom or Landscape Balamboang). The map has soundings around the whole coastline of Java and a lot of information on land-use, topography and settlements in early 18th century Java.
This map consists of seven seperate sheets. The framed price includes luxury framing (inner frames around the individual sheets, cloth and a large frame).
Size images: 26 cm x 46 xm (7x)
Mid-18th century map showing the route taken by Abel Tasman on his way to discovering New Zealand, Tasmania, Tonga and Fiji. The map was originally published by Francois Valentyn in his ‘Oud en Nieuw Oost Indien’ (Old and New East Indies). Tasman started his voyage in Mauritius and left Batavia on August 14th 1642, commanded by the VOC, to determine whether the already discovered (north)west Australian coasts were connected with the hypothetical southern continent. The results of Tasman’s second voyage of 1644 are not included in this map.
size image: 47 cm x 31 cm
The first step of organized tourism in Balinese history was made in 1924 when the Koninklijke Paketvaart-Maatschappij (KPM) established a weekly steamship route between Bali and Batavia (Jakarta), Singapore, Semarang, Surabaya and Makassar. The first tourists were from the Dutch colonial administration. The schedule was that the passengers disembarked on a Friday morning, made a round trip on the island by car and left on Sunday. They slept on the ship or in rest houses. Four years later, in 1928, the first international hotel in Bali was opened by the Dutch shipping company KPM: the Bali Hotel in downtown Denpasar, built on the site of the 1906 Badung puputan. Today the hotel still exists, holding a different name: Inna Bali Hotel.
size image: 44 cm x 69 cm