Greater Bird of Paradise
A fine reprint of the Greater Bird of Paradise by Eduard Travies, one of the greatest ornithological artists of the 19th century, published in his finest work ‘Les Oiseaux Les Plus Remarquables. ’The Great Bird of Paradise is the largest most spectacular member of a family of 40 species grouped under the name Paradiseidae.
size image: 51 cm x 38 cm
Eduard Travies was born March 1809 in France. Throughout his career he concentrated on natural history subjects, both in watercolour and lithography (he exhibited regularly at the Paris Salon between 1831 and 1866). Travies was the first artist to successfully capture the character of individual birds. This together with the wealth of detail in the backgrounds, give great charm to his images and lift them above mere ornithological illustration, into the realm of fine ornithological art.
H 51 cm x W 38 cm
Reproduction of a chromolithograph of Borobudur temple complex in Central Java, after J.C. Rappard from M.T.H. Perelaer’s Nederlandsch-Indie Java Door De Buitenbezittingen published in Leiden in 1883. The last quarter of the 19th century was a period when colour printing was becoming a mechanical process, and book illustration was becoming increasingly reliant on photomechanical methods of production. A work which provides striking evidence of these changes is W.A. van Rees and M.T.H. Perelaer’s Nederlandsch-Indie, which was first published in four folio volumes by A.W. Sijthoff, Leiden between 1881 and 1883, with 103 chromolithograph plates mounted on very heavy paper after drawings by Jhr. J.C. Rappard, who served as a military officer in Indonesia for thirty years between 1842 and 1872. What makes this otherwise undistinguished work one of interest in the history of Indonesian illustration is not so much that the plates reflect the insipid character of chromolithography of the period, but that they are after drawings executed not directly from nature in Indonesia, but in Leiden from photographs. From such an uninspiring source it is hardly surprising that the plates are dull and lifeless, typical of the photomechanical age of printing which was now beginning, and which eventually led to the photographer replacing both the artist and artist-engraver as the principal agent of book illustration.
Size image: 23 cm x 17 cm
Reproduction of a chromolithograph, after J.C. Rappard from M.T.H. Perelaer’s Nederlandsch-Indie Java Door De Buitenbezittingen published in Leiden in 1883. Shown is the Town Hall of Batavia. This building was the administrative headquarters of the Dutch East India Company and later of the Dutch Colonial Government. The current building was constructed in 1707 by the city government, replacing the former city hall built in 1627. Governor General Abraham van Riebeeck inaugurated it in 1710. As the city continue to expand southward, the building’s function as city hall (Dutch gemeentehuis) ended by 1913. Nowadays the Jakarta History Museum (Indonesian: Museum Sejarah Jakarta), also known as Fatahillah Museum or Batavia Museum, uses this building.
Size image: 23 cm x 17 cm